Author Robert Brownbridge’s moving memoir of his experiences in the Korean War coincides with the 60th anniversary of the ending of our country’s 5th bloodiest war. Brownbridge shows us that the reality of a soldier’s life in war 60 years ago is similar, if not identical, to our nation’s recent wars.
As a reluctant and inadequately trained draftee, the author is sent to the war’s Pork Chop Hill sector while being forced to endure an odd Army order of carrying an empty weapon. Loathing the possibility of taking another man’s life as much as he fears the loss of his own, he encounters not only the dangers and absurdities of war, but also faces challenging complexities in the characters of his officers and fellow soldiers. Eventually, he develops a fierce loyalty and admiration for his comrades and their courage and sacrifices. The deaths of some of them have haunted him ever since.
Surviving the war is not Brownbridge’s only struggle; while on duty, he is unexpectedly felled by violent seizures. Misdiagnosed in a MASH unit as a “war hysteric,” he is returned to duty until months later when his recurring condition is recognized as real and life threatening. Hospitalized again, he endures a series of grueling medical tests to determine the source of his illness. Here, the care and forbidden love of a young WAC medical tech help him through the darkest and most traumatic time of his life.
Reviews of Into War with an Empty Gun posted on Amazon Books
- “Into War with an Empty Gun is so much more than a war story. It is a metaphor for life: … more
- ”A superb book! Compelling, painful and delightful. Robert Brownbridge writes with dramatic honesty. A gripping … As a woman I was touched especially by the brief romantic episodes …more
- “I was struck by the author’s refreshing honesty about his own limitations, real and imagined, in coping with life in a war zone– …more
- “You won’t want to put this one down. A story about war – one young man thrust from a peaceful, small town …more
- “The story is a five-star grabber. Brownbridge knows his stuff, and he knows …more
- I am so glad I read this book, and I so want others to read it. It gave me a real sense of the chaos …more
To order a signed 6 x 9 Paperback Copy, contact the author at email@example.com